Monday, September 05, 2016

After Seminar

Monday, September 5, 2016

Cebu City Philippines

We are in the United States (Battle Ground) but I am in the Philippines to help facilitate a leadership development program. This was the first of six modules that will be spaced over the next three years. I have been asked to participate in the future ones as well. The past week has been a real joy. I have renewed friendships and been delighted by the hospitality that I have received! I attended our home church here, Harvest Community Fellowship, where I was welcomed with open arms.

The seminar was attended by fifteen invited pastors and church workers. Several of them have been my students at the college and five of them I had never met before. They spoke three different local languages but they all could understand English, yeah! About ten of them could speak the local language that I know and it was special to communicate with them in that medium.

We all share an interest in starting new churches all over the country. It was good to hear some of their stories and to pray with them. Most of the time was spent in small discussion groups where we answered questions which the facilitator has proposed. Often we prayed for one another, sometimes with tears. It was a very moving time.

The week was “bookended” by attendance at our church and the second Sunday I preached from Hebrews 8 about the priesthood of Jesus where it focuses on his “better” priesthood and his “better” covenant. One phrase really touched me: and their sins I will remember no more. (Hebrews 8:12). They took such good care of me.

Our pastor is training the lay leaders to participate in the service and they lead the communion service. The Sunday I was there was the first time for this layman and he was so overwhelmed by the experience, that he cried.

I want to thank you for holding us up in prayer. Carol and I so appreciate you all.

Because of the better Priest,

Vance and Carol Johnson

No comments: